The holiday season is a wonderful time of the year, yet it can also be one of the most expensive times of the year. Between purchasing gifts, decorating, and entertaining, the cost can escalate quickly. Energy consumption during the holidays can broadly impact the financial burden that we often feel, but that doesn’t mean it has to be this way! Even with the help of a solar system on your roof, it is still important to conserve energy and make the most of it. There are numerous ways for you to be efficient with your energy usage and save money this holiday season! This article aims to share with you some smart home energy saving tips for the holidays!
1. Festive lights are a staple of Christmas traditions, but they are one of the most energy costly aspects of the holidays. LED Christmas lights use 90% less electricity than regular lights and can be found in stores and online for as low as $10!
2. By utilizing automatic timers or smart plugs, you can minimize your electricity usage by scheduling lights to turn on and off during specific times of the day!
3. Decorating your home with candles is an excellent way to reduce energy usage, and in the evenings, when the tree is lit, turn off the lights to enjoy the warm holiday glow!
4. Since many holiday meals require several hours in the oven, preheating the oven isn’t a necessity and could save some energy. Some dishes can be cooked at the same time, make the most of the space in the oven, and all of the energy that goes into heating it!
5. Use the oven light to check the progress of food instead of opening the door. Each time the oven door opens, there could be a potential loss of up to 25 degrees, this is not only a waste of energy but also cooking time. When cooking on the stove, be sure to use lids as they help to keep the heat in cooking food faster and preventing energy loss.
6. Whenever possible, use smaller cooking appliances, especially when it comes to reheating food! Using a microwave instead of the oven can reduce energy usage by 50% or more.
Gifts & Holiday Entertainment
7. Turn the heat off while entertaining guests, this will keep your energy usage low, and the extra body heat in the room will make up for the difference! If you have a fireplace, use the fire to warm your home, but be sure that the heat isn’t escaping through an open damper!
8. Purchasing energy-efficient gifts that are durable, recyclable, and made from natural products will help to reduce the need for them to be replaced.
9. Make a point to buy gifts that don’t use batteries and electricity; this way, you are cutting out the expense of batteries and saving energy. If your gifts require batteries or electricity, invest in rechargeable batteries and smart power outlets to reduce waste and conserve energy!
10. Turn off the sound system and TV and play cards or board games with your family and friends. This is not only an excellent way to conserve energy but also a fun activity to share with everyone!
Ultimately, there are numerous ways to reduce energy consumption during the holidays. In addition to rechargeable batteries and smart plugs, many other smart home devices will help conserve energy during the holiday season, as well as other times of the year. Small tricks while cooking and entertaining will help you to be more efficient. Taking the initiative to reduce your energy consumption will not only benefit you financially, but it will also benefit the environment. We at Everlight Solar want to wish you a happy and healthy holiday season and hope that these tips will help you to reduce your energy usage!